Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Paper-Doll Cutout Love

So, I've been thinking a lot lately. Surprisingly, it wasn't all about relationships. It was mostly about my laziness and lack of passion for almost anything. I'm thinking writing might be one, but we'll see in due time.
However, I've noticed a theme with this blog. So, in keeping with that theme (for now) I would like to writing a little something about love. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I know enough.
I know that, for one, God is love and without Him you cannot experience properly. You can argue me about this point 'til Kingdom come, but I'd rather you get on board before that point in time.
Secondly, I know that people can express the same love in different ways. Hitting or abuse in any form is not one of those ways. Let's clear that up before hand. Love should make you feel loved and not like a burden. Love doesn't try to make you feel like you are undeserving of it. So if you're experiencing any of that, just know it's not love.

Love is doing the little things that cater to the idiosyncrasies to your significant other

Now for me, "significant other" is more than just your boyfriend or girlfriend. For the sake of this post, it can be your mother, brother, best friend, or anyone receiving the love you're referring to.

Charmed is like one of my favorite shows and Phoebe made a list of what she would want in a man. The only one I can remember right now is "A man who hates my brand of cereal so that there is always some for me." It prompted me to think of non-physical attributes that I would like in a man. I was just thinking...what can a man do for me that would convince me that he loved me?

Like the bolded portion above states, it would have to be the little things. I know this because people like my mom and best friend love me and they show it by catering to my weirdness.
My best friend does a silly penguin dance to help me calm my nerves.
My mom lets me know anytime Happy Feet or The Incredibles are on TV.
For me it's the small things that count and it should be the same for you.

Anyone can treat you like a "paper-doll cut out." Anyone can give you roses on Valentine's Day. Anyone can buy you jewelry. You don't have to be especially in-tune with a person to buy a box of chocolates and a card.
Me? I like roses, but I prefer Hibiscus or any flower with an extended stamen and large petals. Diamonds are nice, but I'm scared they might not be conflict-free. You'd be better off giving gold or some beautiful hand-made craft from the old-lady down the road. Did you make sure the chocolate didn't have any fruity filling? I dislike those with a passion. Oh, it's filled with caramel. Yes! My favorite! And good...the card isn't too touchy feely. It's hilarious...just the way I like it.

Love should be unconditional, but altered for the person you are giving it too. That's just how it should be to me. How should it be for you?

1 comment: