Pages

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Change (n.)- To make different

According to my go to site Dictionary.com, change means to become different. That makes sense. That's a common word I believe more than most English speakers understand.
With that in mind, I pose a question to my readers...

Question: If two people both changed, that means they are different people right? So, in a sense they are strangers. In that case, they would need to be reacquainted with each other because any interactions would probably be based on the people each remember the other to be.

That's my logic on the subject and it applies largely to those relationship that ended on a sour note, not necessarily those that just simply faded away. With relationships like friendships that just didn't continue because school or life, in general, caused separation, I can understand the attempt to just jump back into the old routine.

I am a different person now than I was in middle school. Sadly, my best friend from middle school and I aren't the absolute closest. But when we do get together, it's like time and space fold together to mend that stretch of time we weren't together. The reason that works is because the people we've become are not so fantastically different than who we were that we can't be friends. Plus, the people we were didn't cause unnecessary strife and drama in each others' lives.

I am different person now than I was with either of my exes. They have changed as well. We are merely acquaintances. Information they probably knew then, like my favorite color, is possibly outdated. We hardly know each other. I won't just jump into the "old swing of things", because if the change is drastic then I need to get to know you again. But if you haven't changed that much, then I really need to tread lightly because who you were was not healthy for me.
If I've changed as much as I like to think I have then I'll be able to put on the breaks when things are moving too fast or begin to mirror the old times and I be able to steer this relationship in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment